PART #1: Gas Line Fitting

Early LEFT - Late RIGHT
The early-style seals like a steel oil line/brake line - with a flare.
The late-style seals with a rubber seal
(like an ironhead/shovel top end line)
____________________________________
Problem is . . . these fittings are 1/4" outlet
and my S&S Super E is 5/16" inlet
I also want it "serviceable" if I have a problem on the road.  I change, and redo many things when building these bikes.  It might look cool, but if I can't fix it with common tools, I shit-can it for a simpler application.  I want to run a fuel filter too (5/16" IN and 5/16" OUT)
I decided to go with the flare (seals better for fuel I've found).  I chased the old threads to square them up with our Snap-On Tool thread chasers.  The thread size is 7/16-20.  I'll use a common 1/4" copper tube nut, available at every local hardware store.  My next step is to get a short piece of that really good copper connector tubing, that auto parts stores sell.  It will already have the flare (factory flared) but it will have too large a diameter for my 1/4" nut . . . so I'll have to drill the nut to .3125(5/16) to fit my tube. This nut will be the only piece of my fuel line that's "special", but easily replicated.
STAY TUNED FOR PART #2.


No comments: